Monday, August 27, 2018

Partners, Ch. 2

[pre-story]The saga continues! Not much to report, other than that I've finished another chapter of By The Horns, which'll be going up once I finish posting this story. In the meantime, enjoy! As always, if you like what you see, [redacted][pre-story]

Partners: Chapter 2

Elirel stormed upstairs to her room, slamming the door behind her, her fists and jaw clenched. She just couldn’t relax. For hours, she paced the room in a silent rage, occasionally stoking the fires of her anger with swigs of wine straight from the bottle, her mind whirring with the same questions over and over. How could he be so blind, so oblivious, so incredibly, impossibly dense? Three years! Three years and he’d never realized she was a woman!? How could he just not notice?! More than half the bottle of wine was gone by the time the flames of anger to finally burned themselves out, and she was left feeling… empty. Drained. Her pacing slowed, then stopped, and with a heavy sigh, she dropped to a seat on the edge of her bed. Her eyes flicked up, looking across the room, settling on his bed. Or, what would have been his bed, if she hadn’t kicked him out. She felt a knot form in her chest at the thought, no less than a dozen confusing emotions all tangled together.

Elirel just couldn’t understand. Why was she feeling all this? In hindsight, it didn’t seem that bad. She wasn’t happy been mistaken for a boy again. But this was the sort of thing she’d normally just laugh off and maybe tease him about the next time he made a short joke. So, why had it infuriated her? Why did her chest ache when she thought about it? Why was this different? The answer didn’t come, no matter how hard she wracked her brain. Eventually, she heaved a sigh, raising the bottle to her lips and taking another swig. Well, the wine certainly wasn’t going to help her unravel the mystery. It would be wise to call it a night and consider the question in the morning with a clearer head. Resolving to take her own advice, she set the bottle aside and rose to her feet, reaching around behind her neck. She unlaced her armor and swiftly slid out of it, soon standing these in only her loose silk underclothes, one hand reaching up under the top. With a few sharp tugs, her binding cloth came loose, freeing her modest breasts, and she drew in a deep breath, filling her lungs fully for the the first time since she’d put it on this morning. Quickly tucking the armor and cloth under the bed, she climbed between the sheets, putting her back to the window as she tried to ignore the sounds of the tavern downstairs.

Unfortunately, Elirel’s brain did not seem ready to settle down for the night. Memories played out in her mind, one after another, denying her even a moment’s rest. She saw Gordon for the very first time, an armored figure flailing almost comically, at least a dozen goblins clinging to his plate, trying to pry their victim out of his shell. She saw him rush past her, spear at the ready, charging into a demonic horde to buy her time. She could see him pull off his helmet, coppery hair gleaming in the sunlight, his face sweaty and clearly exhausted, but split with that bright, wide, irrepressible grin of his. She saw him through half-lidded eyes as he slogged through thigh-deep swamp muck, carrying her venom-weakened body in his arms, his expression wild with fear and desperation, but his jaw still set with determination. She saw him crawl out through a ragged gash in a deepwyrm’s armored hide, his armor slick with blood and acid, only to crack a stupid joke about the smell, as though he weren’t as good as dead just moments ago. She saw him opening her gift, his face lighting up with genuine, almost childlike excitement as he caught sight of the enchanted gauntlets within, it was kind of cute. She saw him hastily pulling at his shirt as he rushed toward a river, tugging it over his head, revealing his rugged and powerful pecs, his long, strong limbs flexing casually as he tossed the garment aside. She saw him rising out of a spring with a splash, the water dripping down his toned body gleaming in the sun as he strode toward camp, a long, thick shaft swaying pendulously between his thighs with each step, along with a pair of heavy balls that hung like ripe, juicy pomfruit...

Elirel’s eyes snapped open wide. What the fuck was that? Why was she remembering... that? She… she must be more drunk than she thought. She was shaking her head, trying to clear away the stubborn image still lingering in her mind’s eye, when she first heard the footsteps. They were heavy, slow, and methodical, and they were coming down the hall, drawing closer and closer. She froze, her pointed ears twitched, listening closely as the footsteps came to a stop outside the door. The door was locked, she reassured herself, only to hear a click as the doorknob turned. The old hinges creaked as the door opened a tiny crack. She was mere moments away from leaping for her bow when a voice came through the gap. “L?” Gordon called, and Elirel’s expression hardened into a scowl. Just the sound of his voice was enough to make her angry, but she didn’t want another fight... All she could do was lay still, pretend to sleep, and hope he got the message. “Are you asleep?” He asked. What a stupid question. What was he doing here, anyways? “They were out of rooms…” He offered as justification, answering her unasked question. Well, if that were true, she couldn’t really make him go sleep in the stables… 

When Elirel didn’t respond, Gordon quietly pushed into the room, closing the door behind him and tiptoeing across the floor as stealthily as a large, slightly drunk human could manage. At least he was trying to be considerate… or just trying not to wake her so she wouldn’t boot him out. She tried her best to ignore his presence, to clear her mind and drift off to sleep as he quietly prepared for bed. Then, he spoke. “L? Are you awake?” He asked, his voice coming from just beside her bed, louder than a whisper, but still quiet. Elirel stayed still, silence hanging in the air for a long moment. Suddenly, the corner of her bed sank with a soft creak, his weight settling onto the edge of the mattress by her feet. Silence hung in the air for another moment before he began to speak. “...I dunno if you’re really asleep or just pretending ‘cause you’re still mad, so I dunno if you’re listening… But I kinda hope you are. I dunno if I’ll be able to remember what I wanted to say in the morning, so I’m just gonna say it, just in case.” He began, a subtle slur to his words, and then sighed. “I just… I wanna say I’m sorry. I mean, I’m a little sorry for not knowing you were a girl, but I still think you gotta tell people something if you’re gonna be mad at them for not knowing it. “ He clarified. “Mostly, though, I’m sorry for reacting, um… like I did.”

Gordon shook his head, continuing. “I was really surprised, ‘cause I thought it was this big deal, and then you were angry, and I didn’t think I did anything wrong, so I got all defensive… I didn’t take it well. But I was thinking about it for a while, and I realized it’s not a big deal, really.” He said, pausing for a moment. “I mean, you’re still gonna be my partner. We’ve still got each other’s backs. At least, I hope you’re not that mad. But, I mean, we did a bunch of cool stuff together, and I mighta’ thought you were a guy, but you were really a girl the whole time, right? That just kinda proves it doesn’t matter if you’re a guy or a girl, right? I was all freaked out ‘cause I thought this whole thing was gonna change things, but it doesn’t really change anything. I mean, I need to stop walkin’ around camp naked, sure, but, like, nothing important. You’re my partner. You’re like family to me. I know you. And you bein’ a girl doesn’t really change what I know. You’re still you. Anyway, what I’m tryin’ to say is, I’m not gonna let you bein’ a girl change the way I think about you. I’m gonna try my best to think of you as my partner and not as a girl. An’ I’m sorry again. Okay?” He asked, not really expecting an answer, but waiting a moment just in case. He rose from his seat and crossed the room quietly, wordlessly climbing into his own bed.

For a long time, Elirel lay still. That was what he was supposed to do. Apologize. Now everything could just go back to normal. That was what she wanted. Right? Then  why did her chest ache with an inexplicable sadness? Why were her hands balled into fists so tight they trembled? What was she on the verge of tears? Why? Why? Why?! She groped blindly for answers, unable, or perhaps unwilling, to see the truth. Suddenly, a memory broke through her blindness, a simple image, bright and clear and shining like the sun, its light revealing the truth. It was his smile. 

“Oh...” Elirel breathed aloud to the dark room, struck by the sudden clarity. It was almost like removing a blindfold. It had been right there, staring her in the face, and she just couldn’t see it. She wasn’t angry at being mistaken for a boy again. She’d been angry because he didn’t see her as a woman. She was sad because nothing was going to change, and she wanted a change. He was her best friend, her closest ally, she trusted him with her life… and she loved him. She’d denied it, even to herself, for so long, terrified of the feelings that had been growing inside her, afraid that she’d scare him off, that rejection would mean losing him altogether. Being just his partner was better than being alone… wasn’t it? But there was no escaping the truth. Deep down, she’d hoped he would someday show some kind of interest, that he would make a move, but all this time, he’d thought she was a boy, and all her years spent hoping had been wasted. And now that he knew the truth, he was just going to ignore it. He was going to ignore her, just like before…

Elirel grit her teeth with determination, her brow furrowed. No. No, she couldn’t let it happen. She wouldn’t let it happen. This was a turning point. Their relationship would always be different because of what had happened tonight. But she could steer the change, if she acted quickly. This was her opportunity. She had to do something. She had to make him see her. Silently, she slipped out of bed, silk underclothes shimmering in the moonlight. Sapphire eyes looked across the room at Gordon as he lay in bed, eyes closed, breathing slow and steady. She swallowed her fear. She couldn’t be nervous, not now. Whisper-quiet, she raised her arms, grabbed her collar, and pulled her top up, over her head in a single, smooth movement. She cast it aside, and before it even hit the bed, she’d already moved on. She couldn’t hesitate, lest she lose her nerve. Her hands went to her waist and loosed the knot holding her pants at her waist, letting them fall, caressing her skin as they pooled around her ankles. She stepped out of them, crossing the room with determined strides. 

Elirel felt almost painfully exposed as the cool night air caressed her bare skin. Goosebumps rippled over her warm brown skin as she stood by his bed, illuminated by a shaft of silvery moonlight. She could feel the light on the sculpted ridges of her tight abs, on the gentle curves of her narrow waist, on her firm, shapely breasts, her modest mounds capped with dark chocolate nipples that pebbled in the cool night air. She could feel it on her slender yet feminine hips, on her shapely legs, on her smooth thighs, on the gentle swell of her hairless mons. She could even feel it on her scars, the handful of faint lines, some ragged, some clean, marring her otherwise flawless, supple flesh. Elirel took a deep breath, looking down at the bed before her for a moment, trying to force herself to relax. It was the moment of truth. “Gordon…” She half-whispered, her voice hesitant. Silence hung heavy in the air for a long moment as she waited with baited breath. “Gordon.” She tried again, a little louder, a little less hesitant. This time, the silence was broken when Gordon drew in a noisy snore. She blinked in surprise, then shook her head. “Gordon.” She called, firmly, emphatically. 

Gordon stirred, groggily blinking as he heard his name, lifting his head from his pillow. “Muh?” He inquired as he stared blankly into the wall for a moment. He twisted his head around to look over his shoulder, catching a glimpse of Elirel through bleary eyes, and automatically rolled to his back to face her better, blinking away the glaze of sleep. As his vision cleared, confusion grew on his face, turning to shock as he realized with he was seeing. His eyes went wide, his mouth hung open, and his cheeks flushed, and after a half-second of staring, he whipped his head around to face away, his hand coming up to shield his eyes in her direction. “Uh, L? Um… What the fuck?” He inquired, voice wavering with uncertainty. Was this a dream? And if it was, what was his brain trying to do to him? Why would it show him her naked body, her toned waist, her smooth thighs, her perky chest, each breast crowned with dark, suckable nipples… What the hell was he thinking about?! This wasn’t right! But as much as he tried to force the image from his mind, it was to no avail. The image of her naked form was burned into his mind, instantly unforgettable. 

“Gordon. Look at me.” Elirel urged, her voice firm even as she tried to stop her hands from trembling. 

Gordon stared into the wall, gripped by panic. “But… You’re…” He swallowed, trying not to remember the image and failing. “...Naked.”

“Gordon. Look at me.” Elirel urged again. “...Please.” She added, unable to suppress the tremor in her voice.

Gordon swallowed. He had no idea what was going on, but L’s tone was clear enough. This was important to her. Incredibly important. And if it was a choice between her and his code of honor… “...Alright, L.” He muttered as his hand came away, slowly, and he turned to face her again. His cheeks were burning red beneath his freckles, and despite his best efforts his gaze still wandered, but he looked at her. 

Elirel’s breathing hitched as Gordon stared at her. She had to force her arms to stay at her sides. She swallowed, nervously, and drew in a deep, shuddering breath, beginning to speak. “I… I’m a woman, Gordon.” She told him, stiffening with determination. “Yes, I’m your partner, but... I’m a woman, too. That’s a fact. I need you to see. I need you to… understand. It doesn’t change our past, what we’ve accomplished together, our adventures, our... relationship. But… but it could change the future. Our future…” She tried to explain, taking another deep breath.

“I… I know you see me as just your partner.” Elirel continued. “But… I want you to see me as a woman, too. And… maybe something… more? I know this is new to you, but, it’s not to me. I’ve been a woman. I was a woman when I met you, when you became my partner, when you became my best friend… I didn’t realize it until now… No, I didn’t want to realize it until now, but… I’ve been… hoping, for a while, that you might, um… realize that you like me. And that… that I like you, too. So, when you didn’t even know I was a girl, I realized… I’d been hoping for nothing. But, maybe it’s not for nothing, anymore. Now you know. I’m a woman. And I’m telling you… I’m telling you that I like you. That I… I love you. I love you, Gordon.” She finally declared, her heart pounding in her chest.

Silence hung in the room for what seemed like an eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment